Dressing Your Truth Online- My Progress

General, Reviews/Giveaways — By on November 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I told you all in an earlier post that I had read a book by Carol Tuttle – Discover your Beauty Profile.

I was pretty excited about what it was teaching me, and it was causing me to really examine my personality and how it’s changed over the years. At the end of the post I told you all that I was going to do the Online Course, and that I’d let you know what I thought.

(The online course has a portal that looks like this above- it allows you to go to several areas. Each area has a set of videos to help you learn)

Wow. Can I just tell you how many times I’ve watched the course, and the club night videos? It’s really supported me in realizing that I’m a Type 1- but that a lot of the fun and extroversion that typically comes with that type is something I haven’t allowed in myself in my adult years. I really struggled with whether or not I could still be a Type 1- when I’m really a pretty shy person.

One thing that has helped me… was a great suggestion made to me by one of the members of the DYT forum (available to all the people that have taken the course). She suggested I try doing small Type1 things- and I’ve found that actually encourages me to be more open and animated- and less guarded! The small steps are helping me get my inside and outside aligned. Thank you forum members that helped me!

What kind of  small Type 1 things am I doing? Well, some things were really small like I added this little whimsical bright flower to my key chain. I’d had it for a while- but I guess I didn’t think it was very adult to have it on my key chain? But it’s animated and random- just like Type 1. And ever since I added it- it makes me smile whenever I see it!

What about a bigger change? Before I moved to Texas I lived for 10 years in NYC- and as you may have heard- its basically a law that you wear black there. Like all the time. And one of the things the online course taught me about my type (Type 1) is that I should be wearing colors in tints that are basically light and bright. And umm- NO BLACK.

So I’ve been slowly trying to wean myself from my beloved black- into brighter shades. Even *GASP* YELLOW!!! See picture evidence below:)

(Possibly the only pic in existence where I am in yellow!)

I’m taking baby steps. I’m hoping that maybe in a month or two I’ll have gotten the hang of things even more. I also plan to cut my hair and add some highlights per a suggestion in the course in the next couple weeks.

Ultimately- I’m just grateful to have taken this journey and to have spent the time thinking about who I am as a person. Really considering it. And then trying to find ways to honor that- rather than to conform to whats in style or what I think society wants me to be like. This program has really helped me to appreciate the strengths of many different personality types as well as my own. And thats helped me to better see the beauty in everyone I know.

Let me know if you are interested in hearing more about the Dressing Your Truth concept- and I’ll be happy to share more blogs or video blogs talking about my experiences with it:)

Tags:

30 Comments

• A Daddy Blog says:

Great blog! Sounds like a really cool program. And you look really good in the yellow sweater. Have a great day!

–Michael (aka: http://adaddyblog.com)
    .-= A Daddy Blog ´s last blog ..6 Ways to be a Better Dad =-.

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@A Daddy Blog, Thanks! I really love it- but the yellow takes some time to get used to!! :)

• Danielle says:

OB-sessed, and frankly I’ve never seen your eyes so blue so more yellow PUH LESSE!!! I love that your working thru it and I think its so beautiful that your doing it at your own pace and letting yourself mesh one moment or thought at a time.
    LOVE LOVE!

D
    .-= Danielle´s last blog ..Did I actually COOK something =-.

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@Danielle, Oh MY GOODNESS! Obsessed doesn’t not even cover it. Can I just tell you how I plan to talk your ear off about this! You may have to tell me to back off:)

Hehe. Thanks for the encouragment lovie!!!

• Wendy says:

You look awesome! So cute, but grown up, too. Glad you are enjoying dressing Your truth with DYT.

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@Wendy, Thank you Wendy- you forum members really helped me when I was just sitting on the fence trying to figure out what I was! What a great group of girls you all are! So generous with your advice and encouragement!

• Nikki says:

I love that picture of you in yellow lady! love it! love your complexion with that color too! and your eyes look very cool with it too, sort of like a grayish blue, Gorgeous! Very cool that you are doing this self work stuff, I love this kind of thing. Maybe I’ll do it after you:) ps i’m wearing a black top with black and white striped pants today. hehe. but my sneakers are olive! :)

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@Nikki, Thanks Lady! You better get some yellow too- because you are like %1000 percent more Type 1 than I am!!!

Danielle Reply:

@Nikki,
    100% you are a Type 1 Nikki 150,000 %

[Reply]

• Yellow is a great color for you. What fun to add fun back into the way you dress!
    .-= JDaniel4′s Mom´s last blog ..Muffin Tin Monday- Turkeys Food Pyramid Meal =-.

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@JDaniel4′s Mom, Thanks so much! Yeah I’m really enjoying just thinking of dressing as fun, and an expression and not so serious!

• Renee says:

You look so lovely in yellow!

And who says a grown up can’t have a pink flower keychain? And when did you become a grown up? I know *I’m* not one, so you certainly can’t be!
    .-= Renee´s last blog ..Always a Bridesmaid =-.

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@Renee, You are SO sweet. Thanks. I feel like an alien in a color thats not dark- but I’m attempting to push my comfort zone!! lol.

I agree- neither of us are adults. We are pre-adults;)

• Laura says:

You are GORGEOUS in yellow (well you’re gorgeous in any color but yellow particularly suits you)! :)
    I love that you’re doing this! I don’t know if I ever told you this – but I never really saw you as shy – you’re always so lovely and wonderful and fun whenever I’ve been with you with a group of people (which may be why I (selfishly) ignored signs that you wanted to go when we were in groups of people haha – I know – I’m mean).

And an added bonus for rediscovering the true you is that you’ll be, once again, setting an excellent example for Molly :)

Love you guys!

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@Laura, HAHA! Oh believe me- I was aware that you were ignoring our pre-determined signal that I wanted to leave big groups. I could only pull on my ear lobe so long before realizing you just didn’t care!! lol. kidding you cared…just not as much as me!! lol.

I love you too. You actually helped me to discover my type. I realized that during Blogher I should have felt shy, I should have been introverted. But I wasn’t. It was because I was with you and the other girls. I felt supported and loved. And I realized my true personality only comes out to play when I am feeling really secure. Hopefully someday I can have it back full time. But if not- having it with my loved ones is enough. You are one. LOVE YOU!

Danielle Reply:

@Milk & Cuddles,

AMEN sisters! Laura I only just started to meet a Shy Shannon a few years ago, very unexpected.:)

• Lisa says:

Sounds like you are really happy! I love the not conforming message. I have recently cut my long straight hair and got a perm. It feels good. I also darkened the color.
    I used to live in NY too, I know all about the obligatory black uniform. Good for you for learning to love color!
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..German Shepherd Gifts updated Mon Nov 15 2010 8-06 am CST =-.

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@Lisa, Yeah- I really am enjoying it! I needed to like re-evaluate my adult style I guess. And also think through what about my personality is helpful and what I’ve grown out of. I needed to re-evaluate. So that alone was worth it. But also- its kind of re-invigorating my sense of fun. Which I didn’t realize I’d lost…but I kinda did. I needed to get WAY less serious.

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@Milk & Cuddles, PS. Your picture makes me guess your Type 3! lol.

• Lori says:

I just watched the video and I am totally intrigued. I could definitely use some life changing things in my life right about now. I just got back from a 3-day conferecne where I presented and I would have loved the opportunity to get some basics about how to dress for something like that. I’ve been to so many conferences, but I’m at a stage in my life right now where the dress, hair, and make-up matters, and giving a great impression of yourself is very important. I’m going to make some time to check this out, thanks so much for sharing.
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Roses Perspective =-.

• Mitzi says:

Shannon, this truly sounds like a lovely way to “get your insides and outsides aligned”! Sounds like a wonderful course! I may have to look into this one! LOVE you in yellow! It totally works with your beautiful eyes and hair color and your complexion!
    .-= Mitzi´s last blog ..Well Worth a Day Lost =-.

Milk & Cuddles Reply:

@Mitzi, Thanks so much, Mitzi. It’s really amazing how tools like this can give you insights not only into yourself, but into others as well. I really appreciate your sweet compliments… I’m still trying to get used to the Type 1 coloring, but it does make me feel just a little bit different about myself. Have a wonderful evening.

• rose says:

you look good in yellow. what colors are next?
    .-= rose´s last blog ..STEPS =-.

• Jodie says:

1. You look fabulous in yellow.
    2. What neat course…i can only imagine the fun you’ve had “discovering” more about yourself…and letting it shine through!
    3. Thanks for sharing!

• Cheri says:

I’m so glad you are enjoying your ‘Oneness’….for us, it’s all about fun, and yellow is certainly extra fun!

• Heather says:

Oh yeah, I think I am interested in this. LOL No really, I am!

• Stacey says:

I’m so glad to see you are enjoying dressing your truth! You look great in that picture! My family and friends still think I’m nuts but, I love not wearing black! I’ve transformed my whole wardrobe over this year to type 2 and I’ve never looked back…I love my clothes and what I wear…I always feel great!
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Real Southern Living – Favorite Things =-.

• Holly L says:

I am totally intrigued…what great ways to add a little pop in your day and attitude…definitely something I should look into!
    .-= Holly L´s last blog ..DIY! Trio of TreesIts Not Too LateYet! =-.

• Gwen Brown says:

Such great tips! I posted this for a friend who is also getting used to the idea that she’s a T1. Thank you for sharing the link on my blog! You look great in yellow, and the keychain is adorable!

• Rebecca Parker says:

I’ve been considering doing the online DYT course. I’m pretty sure I’m a 1, but one thing I’ve noticed looking at all the You Tube videos is that everyone who is a 1 is wearing a solid color top. They’re all happy with the training and I assume are happy with their clothing, but I feel that all the people who are 3′s and 2′s are dressed very nice, while the 1′s and 4′s look pretty bland. I don’t want to spend all that money just to find out I have to look bland. What do you think?
    Hugs,